/design/business/personal/ideas/ /desain/arsitektur/ Blog of Raul Renanda www.renanda.com

Friday, March 04, 2005

Business : Speak their language! Business and Sex

About: Using sexual term and jokes to explain business concept.

I was staying in my hideaway for a while with my team. The idea is to have a focused design development program. But as night comes by - boys will be boys - those sexual jokes and “experience” discussion appears ‘naturally’ from all of us (all male – coincidentally), and at the same time I often - along with the conversation – get one or two question about business and management; remember, we were there to work ;-)

Funny things happened.

There was a question from one of my team about business issues and I have difficulties to answer the question, I tried to explain it many times in many ways but didn’t give a right cut. My “audience” keep asking me to elaborate more about it; and I am running out of ammo, couldn't find any betterway to explain the answer. So I decided to let it go, keep it open at that time, and then we back to our “favorite” conversation about women and sex (of course!).

Suddenly, out of nowhere, from one of the silly joke about sex, strikes me an idea about a way to answer their previous question (about business). Then I use the sexual term and tell the joke about one particular sexual activity; surely all of them listened to my interesting story very clearly, and voila! I put the same analogy from that nasty sex story to answer that previous business question; the result is; now they’re understood! Duh!

So that experience gave me an Idea about creating a book or a session, using sexual term, story and jokes to explain and inform all the things about business world. By using “new language” that people interested and ‘care’ about (one of it of course, SEX), it is easier, effective, and most of the time, I believe it almost a perfect analogy to explain, even for the most confusing business world question!

Simplify it! Speak their "language!"

No comments: